Thursday, April 7, 2011

Service Project Final Day!

Hello again! So today was the last time I meet with Swetha, and Ms. Garcia with Cassandra, and oh what a day it was!  I received Swetha's results of the survey we had sent out with them, and began to develop a spreadsheet with all the information.  They already had a good concept of what a graph was, so they were surprised that they could create a graph on the computer.  It is a simple graph that is not too complex, that way Swetha and Cassandra could be able to read and understand it.

We got down to business with the VoiceThread and had them interact with each other's short productions.  Since they are young students, I created most of the VoiceThread myself and just had Swetha watch and participate in it.  She did help me out in deciding what could be good questions to ask in each slide.  Her eyes would always light up whenever it was her turn to talk.  Then we had each of our students participate in the other one's VoiceThread- so if you hear a second little girl's voice it is Cassandra's.  We did come across bumps in the road... especially when my Internet failed to connect and I had to use Ms. Garcia's computer, but all in all we were able to accomplish this task!

I must say this whole service project really opened up my eyes.  I realized with Swetha and Cassandra that children are always excited to learn new things, and technology should never be considered a barrier!  Swetha picked on pretty fast on all the assignments I would give her.  I hope you have enjoyed reading this journey I- as well as Ms. Garcia- embarked on with these two little girls!

Here is the Frog's Life Cycle on VoiceThread... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment