Wednesday, March 2, 2011

7 Elements of Digital Storytelling

So I began my most recent project- creating a short movie that ties into my activity plan.  I wanted to find a way to incorporate movie making into the holidays.  I first created my storyboard then I came up with this movie that explains a little of why I choose to focus on Valentine's Day, the history of it, and why it is important to me.  This is similar to what I would like my students to create, yet on the holiday of their choice.

I had to rely on something to create this movie and it was the 7 elements of digital storytelling:
point of view, a dramatic question, emotional content, the gift of your voice, the power of the soundtrack, economy, and pacing.

In my movie in general, I'd say I covered pretty well my point of view on Valentine's Day.  As far as my dramatic question is concerned, it was the question of why it is important to me.  The emotional content I decided to add, what the part where I mention that my dad always gives my sister and me a flower.  It was a personal touch I wanted to add.  The gift of my voice? Well I think you got to hear my voice throughout the whole video!  Although, I would have to say I didn't include the 'power of the soundtrack' it is an important element that can add to your movie as a whole!  The last two- economy and pacing- are very similar and they are just about not overwhelming the audience and keeping a steady pace throughout the video.  These can be difficult to deal with, because at times I wanted to add more information, but I was able to cut it down to a point where it was enough information that you needed to know!

In the end, the movie making process can involve a good amount of your time, but the end result will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment