Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spreadsheets

I've always known that spreadsheets were available, but me I just wasn't sure if I would ever come across to using them.  Sure I was introduced to spreadsheets back when I was in school, and I have used them a couple of times at previous work places, but other than that I just didn't find a use for them.  Well I was wrong!  I began searching various websites and found out that in fact, you do need spreadsheets for many things.  While I was searching I even found a neat site that helps you create a graph- it is designed more for young children.

I began to create a "test" spreadsheet, and quickly discovered I had forgotten most of the basics of the tools offered.  Once I got the feel for it, I made my spreadsheet over an estimated wedding budget.  Yes it is a random spreadsheet, but hey I had to start somewhere!

Then I referred back to my unit plan and decided to create a spreadsheet that would reflect a mini survey I constructed.  The survey was directed to my class and I just wanted to know what their favorite season was- simple.  After calculating the information I ended up with a pretty neat looking graph!  Ah the love of spreadsheets has struck me.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked doing the spreadsheet assignment because it let me brush up on my excel skills. I looked at your wedding spreadsheet and it looks like you used the formulas as well, it makes it so much easier to use. I love the spreadsheet you made because its so simple but something that can be easily made in the classroom to show kids how simple it is to organize information on a spreadsheet.

    ReplyDelete